Thursday, January 16, 2014

Launch of "Timesnatched"

I just announced today on Facebook that my book, "Timesnatched: Pole Star " is available on Amazon.com. I'm pretty sure some of my old acquaintances are scratching their gray heads and wondering why Barbara Boyle thinks she can write a book. A fair question. I've wondered that myself at times, especially when I review a paragraph in a draft and hit the delete button as fast as I can. It's the same feeling you get the day after you teach a class or attend a party--"Oh, horrors! Did I really say that?" Only, there is no delete button under those circumstances.
Putting your written word out to the public is no different than showing up for an "American Idol" audition. You set yourself up for ridicule. And, when it comes, you have to have decided in advance how you're going to react. At my age, I can always blame senility.' My grandkids will just shake their heads and mumble, "Oh, Grandma."
And, as I thought about taking this step, I pondered over my life up to this point: I've really had an amazing trip with few regrets. The Lord blessed me with a sense of adventure, so when my U.S. Air Force officer husband offered to show me the world at Uncle Sam's expense, I put my hand in his and said, "Lead the way." Then, the babies came--all eight of them. And, I marvel when I think that even in motherhood, I have experienced just about everything--four boys, four girls, one adopted child, twins, rebellious teenagers, drummers, singers, actors, honor students, wrestlers, beauty queens, and lots of in-betweens. We travelled from the beaches of Okinawa to the heights of Pike's Peak; from the deserts of Idaho to the summits of the Swiss Alps; from the Norwegian fjords to the Eiffel Tower. Yes, it has been an amazing trip.
So, when I think about this next big adventure, I say, "Why not?" What's the worse thing that can happen? Ridicule? Maybe. A little sneering and jeering? Probably. But, if the few stories I share bring even the hint of a smile to anyone, it will be worth everything I ever put into it.  At this moment, I add this experience to my list of "Things Tried/Attempted/Failed/Succeeded." A year from now, maybe I'll know which box to check.

1 comment:

  1. Life is definitely one great adventure! Really enjoyed reading this post.

    ReplyDelete